Thursday 3 May 2012

Proposal

Name: Karl Dootson 

Project Title: Toy Box 

Review: 

In the previous two stages of the programme I developed skills in drawing, painting, photography and I also developed my awareness of contemporary art. I became more aware of composition, particularly the importance of negative spaces. I became very interested in mark making, exploiting the possibilities of using different media to present the same image and how this changes the ‘message’. 

I have decided that I do not want to investigate my ideas through sculpture. I do intend to work on a flat surface, but I intend to use layers to add depth to my work. My evaluation of my experience on completing the previous stages of the programme has helped me to refine my ideas and to decide what my interests and strengths are. 

Ideas and Concepts: 

I want to prioritise colour, and use compositions that reflect the energy, chaos and complexity of modern life. I am interested in compositions that have an overall quality to them rather than a single focus of interest. The explosive colour qualities I found within a toy box are very eye catching with tertiary coloured toys breaking up the over exciting confusion. The idea is to show that the confusions of modern day life can lie within any objects found within the common household, “Toy Box” is an excellent example of this has it contains a hint of irony knowing that living as a child is so simple and care free but there toys can show how confusing life is going to become. I would like to emphasise these qualities for my final piece. 

Contextual Research: 

The main influences on my work are: Michael Craig Martin, Jean Michel Basquiat, Frank Stella, Sigmar Polke. The factors that link these artists together in my mind are their use of explosive colour and the complexity of their compositions. I have researched these artists through secondary sources, and for primary research I will use my visit to the Germania Exhibition at Saatchi Gallery. Although there are many aspects of the work by artists in this exhibition that I feel are relevant, the artist whose work is likely to be most influential is Andre Butzer in the way that the figures in his paintings are not immediately identifiable, but seem to gradually emerge from chaos.  

Techniques and Presentation: 

I intend to use a variety of techniques to develop my ideas: drawing, photography and collaging will be the main ways on which I work out my compositions, but I expect the final pieces to be mainly in paint, with the possibility of expanding my working methods to include mixed media. 

I intend to present my initial research and development – both contextual and practical - in notebooks, and to work towards an exhibition of medium-sized canvases. This will be part of the Foundation group show.  

The materials and resources I have selected are available. I already have notebooks, paints, inks and other basic drawing materials. I have decided upon a size and format for my paintings, and I have made the canvases. 

Evaluation and Progression: 

I will evaluate my work by comparing it to the work of the artists I admire and that have influenced me on this project. I will also ask for feedback from staff and other students. I will refer back to my initial aims to see whether I have achieved them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment